The District 52 School Board Meeting Tuesday night had a number of unfamiliar faces in the room. The agenda, though still packed with important fiscal and property management topics, began on a lighter note as Coach Huntsberger took the podium. “We’ve had some great players this year.” Coach Huntsberger went on to recognize a number of talented young men and women in the room, listed below, for their exceptional work on the field this year.
Ninety Six, Home of the All Lakelands Player of the Year, Anna Grace Bryant and the All Lakelands Coach of the Year, Chris Liner, has gained quite a bit of recognition for its players. Board Member Dr. Michael Bryant commented “We’re excited to receive these recognitions for our students and coaches after being moved up to a 2A classification.” A testament to the talent and resolve of these students.
The full list of recognitions:
- Anna Grace Bryant- All Lakelands Player of the Year, Region II AA Player of the Year, North/South Volleyball Team, Class AA All-State (Volleyball)
- Chris Liner- All Lakelands Coach of the Year (Football)
- Rod Johnson- All Lakelands, Running Back, Player of the Year (Football)
- Josh Watson- All Lakelands, Offensive Lineman (Football)
- Grant Dickey- All Lakelands, Kicker (Football)
- Christian Saxon- All Lakelands, Linebacker (Football)
- Cady Collins- All Lakelands Cheerleader (Cheerleading)
- Eric Roberts- All Lakelands (Cross Country)
- Will Garrison- All Lakelands (Cross Country)
- Brandon Turner- All Lakelands (Cross Country)
- Mary Ashley Moore- All Lakelands (Cross Country)
- Bre Waldrop- All Lakelands (Cross Country)
In related sports news, the board approved John-Mark Scruggs as the JV Girls Basketball Coach and Kevin Fleming for Asst Wrestling Coach.
The district audit, performed by Elliot Davis and presented by Sr Manager Lee Wagner, found no compliance issues in the district. The board congratulated Finance Director Emily Temple on a job well done this year.
The Old Edgewood Middle School, though the plan hasn’t been finalized, is in the process of being deeded to the Phoenix Group for 12 months. The board is supportive pending finalization of contracts and 501(c) approval. Wally Hall, Director of Special Projects, says he’s excited to see a community organization making use of the building in a way that will serve the community.