Family can mean different things to different people. Most people define family as their parents, siblings, spouse and children. But for some people family could mean their pets, their close friends or the people from their place of worship.
I believe we were created for relationship. We need strong family relationships to be healthy, happy and fulfilled. Family gives us a sense of wholeness, safety and security. When we do not make time for family, whatever our concept of that may be, we can suffer from stress, anxiety, depression and other related health problems.
It is important that we set aside some time for ourselves as well. When we are tired, stressed, or depressed, we have very little to contribute to our family and friends. We must look for that healthy balance between time spent on ourselves and time spent with our families. You must have your cup filled before you can give to others.
Here are some excellent suggestions for enjoying quality Family Time:
- Take a day trip to the park with family and friends on Saturday or Sunday.
- Pack a picnic lunch the night before and meet your spouse somewhere for lunch.
- Don’t enroll your kids in every school activity and reduce the number of volunteer assignments that you accept.
- Turn the cell phones, CD players, TV and DVD off and play a good old fashioned board game together.
- Prepare a healthy meal together and enjoy it around the dining-room table.
- Plan a weekend walking or hiking adventure.
- Have friends over for a healthy meal and play a game together.
- Go for a drive together and discuss your favorite memories.
You will find that making time for Family Time will pay off in abundant feelings of togetherness and connection.