It’s that time of year for reflection again. People all over the world are looking back at the year that is wrapping up and taking an assessment of what happened and hoping to apply that assessment to 2013 to avoid making the same mistakes. Everyone wants 2013 to be better than 2012, right?
No one wants to put 2012 in the rearview mirror more than those folks that insisted that the ancient Mayans had tabbed the end of the world for the winter solstice. They told family members and coworkers, longtime friends and people on the street to get ready for the end. And then it was December 22. And now, here we are, reflecting on 2012 on the first day of 2013. Here is a look at the top ten most viewed stories of 2012.
10. Alligator found dead on Highway 702. An alligator captured the hearts of Greenwood residents in May when he turned up on the side of the road in Ninety Six on Highway 702.
9. Two vehicle collision in Hodges leaves two injured. Two vehicles hit each other head-on just above Hodges Elementary School on a rainy Monday morning.
8. Man Murdered on Parkland Place Road. The second shooting death of the year, and the second in the Country Homes area, garnered a lot of attention.
7. Ware Shoals Student is Safe. After a Ware Shoals student was reported missing, GwdToday readers went to work to help locate her. The story we posted when she was located checks in at number seven on the list.
6. Greenwood Man Arrested for 'Drop-Kicking' Cat. After a man allegedly kicked a cat at the Dock on the Laurens side of the lake, pandemonium ensued. This story, though only at number six on our list, was picked up all around the nation, from Florida to Arizona.
5. Pedestrian Struck by Car. A young man was struck by a car on his way to Greenwood High School. The community rallied around the family with an untold amount of prayers on his behalf. The young man continues to recover from his injuries.
4. Police Searching for Suspect in Fatal Shooting. The same morning that the GHS student was struck by a car, authorities in Greenwood County were looking for a suspect in a fatal shooting in Laurens County, prompting schools in Ninety Six to lock down. The suspect was eventually caught the same day.
3. PLANE CRASHES AFTER HITTING DEER. Plumes of smoke could be seen from all over Greenwood when a deer ran across a runway at the Greenwood County Airport and struck a plane that was landing. There were no injuries in the crash, but a significant amount of land at the airport caught on fire and the plane was destroyed.
2. Long lines anger shoppers at Wal-Mart. Residents of Greenwood had been complaining of the horribly long lines for some time when this story hit the website. Thousands of readers sounded off on the story in one form or another and Wal-Mart has had shorter lines since.
1. Man dies following assault. This tragic story from just before Christmas tops our list of top stories for 2012. Our staff continues to pray for the family of Jason Bush as he lost his life at what appears to be the hands of his best friend. A very sad way to end the year.
There is the top ten list of stories determined by you, our readers. All of us here at GwdToday wish all of you a Happy New Year!