McCravy

County Bank

Home | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | Our Fan Newsletter
GwdToday | Greenwood, SC
News
• Greenwood
• Lakelands
• School
• State
Sports
• Local Sports
• Collegiate
• GHS Eagle Football
Classifieds
• Newest Listings
• Employment
• Merchandise
• Real Estate
• Recreation
• Transportation
• Yard Sales
Marketplace
• Promotions
• Featured Events
• Dining & Nightlife
• Business Spotlight

Crime Network
• Arrest Reports
• Most Wanted
• SC Sex Offenders
His Section
• Church News & Events
• Prayer Request
Obituaries
• Obituaries
• Notices
Occasions
• Birthdays
• Weddings / Anniv / Engagements
• Reunions
Specials
• Letters to Editor
• GwdToday Contest
• Announcements

YMCA Banner


home : news : greenwood September 14, 2014

Carolina Health



Staggs Defense

HP Small Banner Available

Climate Control



1/28/2013 3:02:00 AM
Historical Society presents awards
Clockwise from top left: APRA Winners, the Anderson House, the Tinsley House, the Brabbham House. (House photos courtesy of the Greenwood County Historical Society)
+ click to enlarge

Clockwise from top left: APRA Winners, the Anderson House, the Tinsley House, the Brabbham House. (House photos courtesy of the Greenwood County Historical Society)

Previous Winners

The Aldrich House

Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church

The Tillman House

The Ware Shoals Inn

Masonic Institute of South Carolina (Cokesbury College)

The Wharton House-

The Jennings House

The Federal Building

The Ninety Six Depot

The Hodges House

Stony Point

The Oaks

The Kinard House

The Baker House

 



Brian King
Staff Writer


GREENWOOD, SC – The Greenwood County Historical Society presented three homes with their Architectural Preservation and Restoration awards at a ceremony on Sunday at the Greenwood County Library.

The three homes that received the awards were the Tinsley House in Hodges, the Brabbham House on E. Cambridge Ave. and the Anderson House on Ninety Six Hwy. Each of the award winners were first nominated during the fall of 2012 and subjected to an extensive screening process. The awards committee visits each home that is nominated and grades the home on a variety of factors, including the period architectural details of the home, utilizing a rubric. The results and recommendations are then presented to the full board for a vote.

The Brabham House, originally built in 1906 and located at 152 E. Cambridge Ave., is currently owned by Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Philpott. The home has been lovingly restored by the Philpotts, including refinishing hardwood floors, restoring paint to period colors and restoring staircases to their original look.  The home features original fireplaces and mantles and stained glass entry glasses that are in great shape.  The previous homeowners had replaced moldings and other materials, which the current owners have worked with to incorporate restorative efforts, including porch repair and reconfiguring of the master bedroom, bath and kitchen.

The Anderson House, originally built in 1910 and located at 2020 Ninety Six Hwy., is currently owned by Mr. and Mrs. James P. Anderson. The home was built by Thomas Carson Anderson and his wife Nannie Thomason Anderson.  Mr. Anderson was a land surveyor for 80 years, surveying much of Greenwood County and the surrounding area.  Mrs. Anderson raised their 6 children, cooked potato chips to send their daughters to Lander College and was a school lunchroom supervisor in her 70s. The third generation of Andersons now occupies the home.  Thomas C. Anderson designed the house and paid $500 to a skilled carpenter who                 supervised the building. Most of the lumber was cut off the property.  The millwork came by rail from Augusta, Ga. The family moved in before the birth of twin girls in November 1910. There have been some renovations including the addition of a sleeping porch and a small deck.

The Tinsley House, originally built in - 1937 and located at 4413 Moorefield St. in Hodges, is currently owned by E. S. and Renee Tinsley. The home was built at a cost of $4,500, which translates to about $70,000 in today’s economy, on the site of the former Hodges cotton gin by E.S. Tinsley, Jr. Tinsley was a merchant, peach farmer and leader in the community of Hodges.  The home was built using many materials from the family farm by Mr. Tinsley and his farm hands. The property holds the second oldest well in Hodges, which is still in use, and at one time was used by the school and others in the community.

Each of the winners was presented with a plaque stating the name of the home and the year in which the home was built. The historical society asks winners to mount the plaques in a visible place on the outside of the home. 



Related Stories:
• Duncan speaks to Boy Scouts about Citizenship in the Nation
• Teen Summit 2013 kicks off
• Self Regional Support Services Center



Reader Comments

Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013
Article comment by: Michele Bates

Congratulations Chip and Renee!



Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


Advanced Search



















Greenwood Living

Home | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | Our Fan Newsletter
GwdToday.com • 720 Montague Ave Suite 314 • Greenwood • SC • 29649 • News@GwdToday.com
Software © 1998-2014 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved